Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A letter to Me

I normally swear to most people that I don't like country music. Or will pretend to not listen to it as much as I do. But lately it seems that those are the only stations playing music I'm not ashamed to let Murph listen to. I read a report yesterday that said that the average 15-18 year old listens to 2.4 hours of music a day, and in that time hears 84 references to drugs and alcohol. Yikes.

But once again, I digress.

My roundabout point is that yesterday I heard the song about a man writing a letter to his teenage self. I got thinking about what I would want to be able to tell a younger me if I could go back in time. I'm a bit like Doc. I'm afraid that the letter Marty hands me could ruin things, so in my usual way I would want it to be informative yet cryptic. So here goes.

Dear 17 year old me,

Right now life is so simple. I know right now you are worried about what he said, or she said, or what they think about you, but I promise you in a year you won't care. Infact, in a year you won't even think about 98% of those people anyway. Trust me.

Be nicer. Filter more. Sometimes you say things to be funny, but words can wound. Years down the road you will still regret little things that you say and do now.

Love those around you. And if you love them, tell them. Don't take those close to you for granted. One day you will stand in a cemetary regretting not picking up the phone more or visiting more.

Love yourself more. Respect yourself more. Others will learn to do both more if they see that you've learned it.

Stop cutting your bangs so short.
Learn to tweeze
Put down the hairspray!
Flannel is NOT flattering
College will be amazing.
Hide the phone when you start drinking.
You will love Europe. Both times.
He is NOT worth it.
Neither is he.
Nope not him either.
Getting warmer.

Life won't always go as you plan.
25 won't be as bad as you think.
26 and 27 might be worse.
28 is when your life will really start.
31 is when it will finally have meaning

Mom and Dad are right.
About almost everything.
But sometimes they aren't.
So trust that they raised you well enough to know the difference.
Because sometimes YOU will be right,
and they will have to trust that they raised you well enough to know the difference.

Technology will change your life.
You will have amazing friends, even if some of them you never get to see face to face.

When things are right, life will be simple. You just have to trust that there is a plan for you out there.

Be good. Have fun. And don't do anything I'm going to regret.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It gave me goosebumps...

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

Well done! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Great one. I esp loved: "Put down the hairspray!"

Robyn said...

Just perfect.
Every time I look at a picture from college I think "Flannel is not flattering!!" If only I'd written a letter to myself...

Unknown said...

Love this "passage". Well done.

Kate said...

you ARE a writer!!! don't lie!

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Perfect.

Jay said...

this is a great blog and i wish that i had written a letter to myself when i was that young as well.... maybe i'll wait a couple of years to do it since it wasn't that long ago that i was 17..lol

XOXO said...

Ahem...I'd like to add a line, "She doesn't always deserve those headlock/ body slams..."

Carol said...

What a great letter! I love the part about Mom and Dad. How very true!